This project creates a new two-form entry primary school by adapting and extending Gabriel House in West Norwood, Lambeth, London, a fine red brick Arts and Crafts style building dating from 1910.
The building has a U shape plan on a steeply sloping site and was last used as offices for London and Quadrant Housing Association. Originally it was part of the complex of buildings for the Jewish Orphanage and School at West Norwood. Through this transformation Gabriel House has once again become a building for children.
The school is the second site of Julian's School which is also expanding its first site further to the west, in Streatham, from 1FE to 3FE.
The new extension on the northern side provides additional halls, kitchen, classrooms and community facilities and is cut into the sloping site, so that from the east it appears as a prominent three storey block, from the south as a compact two-storey extension, and from the north, where the older building cannot be seen, it looks like a new building in its own right.
Existing trees have been retained and the site contours have been adapted to provide new external teaching and learning spaces and a multi use games area (MUGA). The building itself provides external terraces as outdoor classrooms and as part of the emergency escape strategy.
The building was delivered through a Design and Build contract with our (SEH) design developed to RIBA Stage E. The contractor was Lengard and their executive architect was Sprunt.