Broomfield House, its landscape and associated stable complex is owned by Enfield Council. The House is a grade II* listed former country house with a long and complex history dating back to the 16th century, and was the subject of major rebuilding and enlargement in the 17th, early 18th and early 19th centuries. Around 1901 most of the Broomfield land was sold for development. 54 acres including the house were bought for £25,000 by Southgate Urban District Council for use as a public park. In 1903 Broomfield Park was opened to the Public. In 1920 the mock half timbering was added.
It sits within a Baroque formal landscape, now a public park included on the national Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest at grade II. The Stableblock is Grade II* listed and sits within a walled part of the garden. A terrace of four Park Keepers Cottages were built in the 1960's. The Stableblock, Park Keepers' Cottages and Walled Garden are run down and used as a depot for storing park maintenance equipment. The house was severely damaged by fires in 1984, 1993 and 1994 and has been derelict since the last fire, which destroyed the roof and much of the interior. Several unsuccessful attempts have been made in the past to find a sustainable new use for the building which would fund its restoration. It is now proposed to restore the building for use as park amenity (café and meeting room) and together with the conversion of the adjacent stable complex, homes for older people. The Mayor of London and the London Development Agency (LDA) has announced an 'indicative allocation' for 20010/11 of £5.97 million for this purpose. This has received Ministerial confirmation and final allocation is expected in Spring 2011. Progress is being monitored by the LDA and following a feasibility study and concept design prepared by Shepheard Epstein Hunter it has been agreed that the scheme is developed to Stage D and detailed applications for Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent are prepared. See: Broomfield House