The buildings of Sunnyhill Primary School in Lambeth are listed grade II and were built around 1900, on a site acquired by the Schools Board for London in 1898 from Mrs Elizabeth Mortimer and others for a cost of £4,400. Plans were drawn up by the Board’s architect TJ Bailey and signed in January 1899. The Board’s Annual Report for 1900-1901 records that the school, in the West Lambeth Division, included a cookery and laundry centre and a manual centre for 40 boys. The school was designed to accommodate 808 children at a cost of £26,839 including the site.
This project, designed in 2010, provides accommodation to enable the school to expand from 2 to 3 forms of entry to help satisfy demand across the Borough of Lambeth for some ten new forms of entry. The new accommodation is in four phases:
The sustainable design elements of the new extension include stack effect ventilation, and a ground source heat pump system under the playing pitch which supplies underfloor heating and preheats the domestic hot water. The new buildings have a BREEAM rating of Very Good.